WOW– its been quite a while since I’ve posted anything on here but that’s life right? I’ve been incredibly busy. To make a long story short after watching a couple documentaries on Netflix and wanting to do a healthy cleanse I decided to try to be vegetarian for month (after that month I would decide if I wanted to permanently go vegetarian or not). I wanted to try one month at first because I workout so much I was worried I wouldn’t be getting enough protein. It’s been about a week since my month was up and I think I am going to continue. So…I hate when I am looking for a recipe on a blog and have to scroll down pages and pages of anecdotes before I get to the recipe ( no offense if yours does) so if you really care about my reasoning behind going vegetarian you can call me, beep me, if you wanna reach me.
Obviously the recipes I post are going to be vegetarian from now on but you can totally add any meat or seafood if you want.
Since it’s been forever since I last posted I have like 10 other recipes to post… inshallah these will slowly start to trickle in the coming weeks.
Avocado Pesto with Zucchini
Noodles and Asparagus
Cook time: Approximately 15 mins
- 1 large bunch fresh basil**
- 2 ripe avocadosAvocado Hass
1/2 cup walnuts or hemp seeds ( I used walnut)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- About 4 Zucchinis to make Zucchini noodles
- A bunch of Asparagus
I like things spicy so if you like that too add the following:
- 2 diced Serrano peppers
- A couple shakes of cayenne pepper
I added a little water to make it creamier. I also added this magical little gem called “That Green Sauce”. It’s from one of my favorite grocery stores ( it’s only in texas sorry!) H.E.B. It’s technically a salsa I guess but it’s creamier than your traditional salsa. So if you wanted to add a little extra something I would find something similar. I’m sure it’ll taste just as good.
**I didn’t have fresh basil on hand so I used the dried version. I think I did about 4-5 shakes. Just depends on how much you like basil.
- Add basil (If you actually used fresh basil don’t forget to remove the stems before adding those to the blender), avocados, walnuts (or hemp seeds), lemon juice, garlic and salt. If you want to make it spicy then you world add the peppers and cayenne now; pulse until finely chopped. Add oil and process to form a thick sauce. Add pepper to taste. I wanted my pesto on the creamier side so that’s why I added “That Green Sauce. It’s up to you.
- Make the zucchini noodles and chop up the asparagus. Turn the stove to a medium heat. Toss some olive oil in a pan and add the noodles ( I sautéed them in small bunches) and asparagus about 3-5 mins.
- Then add your noodles and asparagus to a bowl and top with your pesto.
Recipe inspired by: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/avocado_pesto.html
Photo cred: Me
Happy March y’all! Other recipes to follow.